SCSM 2012 Portal installation gives "Access to the SQL Server instance was denied"

I'm building a fairly small deployment of SCSM 2012: three servers, main, DW and portal. Main and DW each have their own SQL instance installed.

On the portal server, I'm running the Service Manager Setup wizard but when I get to the "Select the Service Manager database" page, it is stuck with "Access to the SQL Server instance CHSCSM01 was denied". The wizard is being run under my domain admin account, which has sa permission on the SQL server.

Please help ;-)

Thanks.

Philip

August 23rd, 2012 3:38pm

Nobody?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2012 12:08pm

It's a firewall issue. You need to ensure that the required ports aren't blocked to SQL. If you don't have the RPC dynamic port range (49152-65535) open then it won't authenticate regardless of your credentials. Easiest  way to test is to turn off firewalls completely at both ends and see if that fixes it.
October 31st, 2012 5:22pm

I had the same issue, my service account was an SA on the SQL server, but the portal would not install, until I gave the account local admin rights on the SQL server.

The error message I recieved was similar to your, but it did explicately say that the account needed admin right on the SQL server.

November 6th, 2012 11:09pm

I am facing the same problem even after switching the firewalls off on both sides. I am using SCSM 2012 and SQL server 2008 R2
January 18th, 2013 11:13pm

Has anyone got any updates on this?  I am seeing the same issue in the exact same scenario.  I've deployed a 3 server setup for an SCSM 2012 demo (1 SCSM database server, 1 DW server, 1 portal server) and I can't get the portal server to connect to the SCSM database.  I run the wizard and get the same message; "Access to the SQL Server instance <server name> was denied". 

This is NOT a firewall issue since those are turned off on all servers involved.  I am a Domain Admin and have had no issues with deploying these servers and getting things installed until now.  I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the inner-workings of SQL, so any help would be appreciated.

March 21st, 2013 12:57am

What does the Service Manager Setup Wizard log say?

You can try to run ODBC Admin from the Remote server to attempt a test connection to the instance, so use the 'Run as different user' option on ODBC Admin.

Another idea is related to using Underscores in the Database names noted here:
http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jcowan/archive/2013/03/22/scsm-2012-unable-to-deploy-the-data-warehouse-due-to-underscores-used-within-the-sql-instance-name.aspx

You could also try this workaround to see if this is related since SCSM is also built upon the same stack as Operations Manager:
http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jcowan/archive/2013/03/21/needles-in-a-haystack-disableloopbackcheck-failed-installation-of-opsmgr-2012-sp1-databases-and-reporting-with-server-2012-and-sql-2012-sp1-over-hyper-v-and-esx-5-1-e1000e-vs-vmxnet3-networking.aspx

Open regedit.exe Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
Create REG_DWORD with name DisableLoopbackCheck and value 1
Disable the NIC Re-enable the NIC Try to UNC to the following paths and rerun the installation

• Edited by jc_jcv1 Friday, March 22, 2013 6:33 PM
March 22nd, 2013 9:27pm

I got it sorted out.  The log had a generic error in it: "Error while connecting to SQL server <server name>: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)".  The ODBC Admin was giving me something similar.

But this was enough to give me a place to start with a Google search and I came across this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/walzenbach/archive/2010/04/14/how-to-enable-remote-connections-in-sql-server-2008.aspx

I performed the second option of making sure the TCP/IP connection was enabled.  I restarted the SQL service and I'm in business.  I knew it would be something simple, but since I'm pretty dense when it comes to SQL, I had no idea where to begin.  Thanks!

• Edited by Nardo88 Monday, March 25, 2013 7:48 PM
March 25th, 2013 10:24pm

Hi Phil

I was wondering if you could help me to figure out the problem.

I have got exactly the same issue and was trying to sort it in last three hours without any success.

Many thanks!
Petr

January 1st, 2014 8:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics